The Trams of Coimbra
Coimbra, situated about 200 km north
of Lisbon and about 115 km south of Porto, is one of the
most beautiful cities of Portugal. This site is dedicated to
the small tramway system of Coimbra which existed until
The menu on the left links to pages with data about the
rolling stock and network development.
Some important dates from the history:
- 17 September 1874 Opening of the first mule tramline
by the Rail-Road Coimbricense between
Estação Velha (Coimbra-B railway station)
and Rua Ferreira Borges. The line was soon extended to
Largo da Portagem. 1435 mm gauge.
- 1885 Closure of the first mule tramline. The exact
date is not known.
- 1 January 1904 Opening of the second mule tram system
by the Companhia Carris de Ferro de Coimbra with the
same route as the first. 900 mm gauge. A second line
from Praça 8 de Maio to Universidade was opened
on 4 February 1904.
- 1908 Revoking of the concession of the Companhia
Carris de Ferro de Coimbra. The exact date of closure of
the mule tramsystem is not known.
- 1 January 1911 Inauguration of the electric tramsystem
with three routes. 1000 mm gauge. Depot in Rua Alegria.
- 1926 Opening of the second depot in Rua da Sofia.
- 1928-1929 Extension of the network to six routes.
- 1947 Introduction of the first trolleybusline on a
route not worked by trams before.
- 10 March 1951 Replacement of the first tramline (5) by
- September 1972 Closure of the depot Rua da Sofia.
- 9 February 1980 Closure of the last remaining
tramlines 3 & 4. Replacement by trolleybuses.